Skip to main content

Assessment 1 - Hand in

Week 8 - its hard to believe that 8 weeks have actually gone by.  It's been quite a learning experience and we have been hitting it pretty hard in terms of work load.  Being sick all of last week didn't help as it has become a race to the finish line, with blogs to be amended, files to be reordered and also the exercises and self directed photos which clearly needed to be completed or redone.

For all those considering doing this course - i hope you do! its a lot of hard work but well worth the effort.  At this stage of the programme our assessment 1 is due.  This is an interpretation of what we believe will showcase our learning journey thus far.  I didn't really think that my body of work was that good, but we got to start somewhere right! "clique" but true...

The piece i chose is my photo of the flame from a outdoor heater which i took one night as i was walking past restaurants toward Silo Park in town.

I chose this piece because i like the fluidity of movement of the flame.  I adjusted my shutter speed and aperture in this photo to compensate for the lack of light as this was taken at night.  The lines in this photo contrast each other, the rigid consistent straight horizontal lines sitting on top of the curvy inconsistent lines of the flame.  There is also a contrast of dark and light, which is also captured reflected on the cage, reflective of the chiaroscuro light. 

The changes to the original photo firstly i converted the image to black and white.  The reason for this was because i believe it shows more impact to the flame.  The colour image to me seemed a bit one dimensional and not as dramatic as that of the black and white image.  I cropped the image to bring more focus onto the flame however leaving enough room to allow for the cage to act as a frame to the image.  I also adjusted the levels so that the blurred parts of the flame could be seen more clearly.  This required tweaking the highlights and dark areas of the image.

The photographic elements which i mentioned above are:
  1. leading lines
  2. aperture (wide DOF)
  3. shutter speed
  4. framing
  5. Composition
  6. Texture
  7. Light
In order to prepare this image for printing i placed the image on a white canvas.  I debated whether or not to use a black canvas, but decided that the impact of the photo would benefit from a white canvas.  I then added a stroke for trimming purposes.
f/10, 1/250, ISO 400


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Back to school - Wk 1

I am looking to portraiture of family and friends. I wanted to look to the 40s and 50s as inspiration, i love the elegance and beauty of this time.  I also love the lighting techniques, which captures a depth and mystery to the subject.  I really want to produce a portfolio that is timeless, beautiful and elegant. These are some of the photos i wish to reproduce. A photographer who i really like is Yousuf Karsh .   His portraits are amazing.  My favourite is that of Ernest Hemingway. The lines on his face emphases a man of substance and thoughtful.  He appears to be strong yet personable.  I really like how Yousuf captures his subjects, they often feel intimate and honest.  Those are the types of photos i want to take. http://portraitinspiration.com/famous-portrait-photographers/

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T