Skip to main content

Portfolio Wk 6 - presentation ideas

My plan for printing this week has been halted because i have two options in mind.  Last week i was really pushing to get some tests prints done so that i could make a decision on which paper to print on.  The four images i chose were ones that i thought signified the vision of my work.  This is to produce images which showed the nature of my subjects.  An embodiment of their personality, from my perspective.  These four images were strong edits i thought, and captured a side to my subjects well, these came out of a natural flow and connection in the studio.  In terms of paper i have chosen the Hammulher paper, mainly because i like the warm tones that it gives to the black and white images.  I also like the defined details in the textures which elevate the photos when they're viewed up close.  The test printing was valuable because i was able to see the images on the prints, which gives me a better perspective as to how the work will be viewed close up.

I got on the buzz of presenting my work as they are shown below, i really like the impact that the eyes had on the print, which is not that obvious in the larger image of the subject.  I decided to print each image on an A3 paper, because on reflection i felt that the images worked better as individual pieces and the framing of the previous format was distracting and took away from the vision of my work.  It was a spur of the moment thing which didn't quite gain much traction in the end.  I feel that to really appreciate the images i want the viewer to be able to get up close and be captivated by the inner beauty of my subjects.

Presentation Idea - The images are printed as one piece, framed by the eyes of each subject



Option 2 - I have 10 images that i have chosen, at the moment its all about how i want them to be placed on to the wall.  The area where my images will sit on is on a large wall dimensions to be measured with a lot of natural light flooding in from the ceiling and the entrance way on the left.  The wall is in the shape of a triangle.  Below are possible presentation ideas i have been playing with.
 These are the images i have selected, there are 10 portraits to work with.

This is an animation of different photo arrangements i took with my tablet.  I chose a different photo for Pela (smiling photo) to a high angle close up shot.  I changed it because her previous photo didn't seem to fit into the grouping of photos which i had.  I feel this shot brings another element of expression to the collection.
These are the six photos that i'm liking at the moment.  I think that they sit well together.  I like how the top row sits.  The position of the top three look three dimensional, which adds depth to images as a row.  This easily moves the eye from one photo to the other.  The bottom three, i'm still undecided about, i like how the brightness of the light matches each other.  The movement from one photo to the other seems to go in one direction.  It seems a bit unbalanced because Pela (bottom right) appears larger because her portrait is close up while the other two seem to withdraw to the back.

I did a practise print on the richo printers so that i could see how the photos would look on the wall.  I decided to change the middle photo.  I thought that this photo fitted well.  It looks visually balance.  As a grouping i feel like these portraits compliment each other.  I'm still considering their arrangement, but i'll let them sit on the wall for a bit and see how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Digital Technology 2 - Week 1 Photographic genres

On Sutha.org we looked at different photo genres.  Four basic photographic categories Creative (fiction) allow a significant element of fantasy.  These types of images allow significant of retouching.  Primary ethic is aesthetic, "whatever looks good goes" Retail (fiction and non fiction) focus on services to the end user Personal (tends to be non-fiction) recording of personal memories and for private use Editorial (non-fiction) non-fiction and record reality in a more objective manner. Bruce and I worked together to complete the class tasks below are the answers to the questions Which genres require more photo retouching? Creative genres Why do you think this is? This is because the images have fantastical elements which require careful thought and arrangement EDITORIAL GENRE What photographer from last term fits into an editorial genre? Lewis Hines is a photographer who shot life as a photojournalism/reportage for political reasons.  His photos documen

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T