Skip to main content

Portfolio - WK 6 Contextualise and Presentation Questions

Its week 6 and my purpose for doing this project remains the same.  That is to produce beautiful portraits of family and friends.  Throughout this whole process the thing i wanted to emphasis was that my portraits remained true to the subject.  Ultimately I want my subjects to see the beauty that i see in them.  Coming from a culture, maybe even a generation of people which down plays personal successes and self validation.  Being a New Zealand born Samoan there's a heck of a lot of influences which have moulded these ideas.  On top of all that as a youth worker one of the saddest things to see is young people who simply cannot see how beautiful and talented they are.  I guess in some way this is my way of giving those i love an opportunity to affirm themselves.

What is your project about?
This particular grouping of portraits i chose as my final images represent three families, from three ethnic backgrounds.  They are all connected under the umbrella of a blended family.  For this reason i have chosen to name this series: Blended.  It references blended families and the evolution of the traditional family structure.  Each individual brings something to the mix which enriches the flavour of the family unit.

How will these images be viewed?
I have chosen eight portraits for this collection to be printed on Hahnemühle paper A3 size.  They will be arranged in a grid of four.  Below are my portraits.

The portraits are grouped in generations the group on the left are the nieces and nephews and the group on the right are the aunts and uncle.
What do they say about the world?
Blended families deal with a lot of negative undertones from internal and external sources.  The messages which are often portrayed is that blended families are broken or abnormal.  This ideology is echoed through the media, government policies (benefits for families), and even our religions. 
  
How does your presentation affect the viewing of your work?
Using the Hahnemühle paper lifted the images off the paper.  The details and textures are appreciated so much more, especially when viewed close up.  This was evident when the Hahnemühle print was place by the black and white richo print.

Placement of the prints was very important because i didn't want one portrait to over power another.  Each portrait in the grid compliments every other portrait around it.  Placing the portraits in grids give a formal feel to the images.  The formations reinforce clean lines, and order which is influenced by the traditional classic look which i wanted my portraits to appear.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Back to school - Wk 1

I am looking to portraiture of family and friends. I wanted to look to the 40s and 50s as inspiration, i love the elegance and beauty of this time.  I also love the lighting techniques, which captures a depth and mystery to the subject.  I really want to produce a portfolio that is timeless, beautiful and elegant. These are some of the photos i wish to reproduce. A photographer who i really like is Yousuf Karsh .   His portraits are amazing.  My favourite is that of Ernest Hemingway. The lines on his face emphases a man of substance and thoughtful.  He appears to be strong yet personable.  I really like how Yousuf captures his subjects, they often feel intimate and honest.  Those are the types of photos i want to take. http://portraitinspiration.com/famous-portrait-photographers/

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T