Skip to main content

Wk 5 - Evaluative metering

We've been working in manual mode for a week.  I must say i do miss the priority modes because of their automatic functions.  I feel like such a newbie , i'm still finding my feet with all the functions of the camera i'm really glad we have the internet to dive into.  It's been a great tool to use paired with class content.  This way of learning is really beneficial to me.  My two go to sites are Digital Photography school which have heaps of tips and tutorials from a wide range of photographers and Eric Kim's Blog which provide a lot of tips, information and inspiration especially for new photographers.  I stumbled onto Eric Kim when i was doing research on my one of my weekly artists.  

With my photos, i've been sticking with the evaluative metering mode.  We have been asked to try out some of the other metering modes.  On the camera i am using - Canon EOS 1100, there are three metering modes, evaluative, partial and centre weighted.  Others have a four option called spot metering.  When in these modes the camera gives a meter which measures the reflected light.  To get the right exposure you need to ensure to place the arrow on to the 0 any numbers before the 0 will equate to an underexposed shot and any numbers after the 0 will equate to an overexposed shot.




The photos below are low angle portraits of my subject infront of the sun using the different metering modes:

f/5.6, 1/320, ISO 100
f/5.6, 1/320, ISO 100

Evaluative metering mode -The meter divides the scene up into zones, then analyzes each zone for highlight and shadow.  Then it takes an average for all the zones and determines the exposure based on that figure. 

The meter divides the scene up into zones, then analyzes each zone for highlight and shadow. It then takes an average for all the zones and determines the exposure based on that figure - See more at: http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com/tip/2879/which-is-best-spot-center-weight-or-matrix-metering/#sthash.2DGSPZeO.dpuf
The subject is placed with the sun behind her.  In the evaluative metering mode the front of the subject is lit well.  The background seemed balanced and the rim light on her hair is very apparent.
f/5.6, 1/320, ISO 100
f/5.6, 1/320, ISO 100
Partial metering mode - The light in a smaller part of the scene is measured and the exposure is set based on that reading.  Effective when the background is much brighter than the subject. 

The readings were the same as the evaluative metering mode.
f/5.6, 1/800, ISO 100
f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 100
Centreweighted-Average metering mode - metering is weighted at the centre and then averaged for the entire scene.  This metering mode focus' attention to correctly exposing the subject. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 - Shutter Speed (TV)

Week 1 This week we are looking at Shutter speeds.   The shutter speed controls the durations of the exposure.  It is the length of time the shutter is open and where light can get in through your sensor. Less light 1/1000 sec - freeze action More light 1 sec - artistic blurs Our exercises in class this week was to play around with different shutter speeds.   It’s my first time using a proper tripod and I must say it’s a wee bit more sturdy and fiddly then the budget ones I’ve used before.   It’s a bit daunting setting up a shot with all this fresh info churning around in my head.   On top of it all there’s a knob for everything on this darn tripod – eek!!! i feel for my poor models having to wait patiently while i sort it all out.   Sorry guys!  Anyway here are some examples of shots at varied shutter speeds I've taken during the week. Still portraits Shutter speed: 1/80", f/10 Shutter speed: 1", f/36 As you increase the size of your ape

Digital Technology 2 - Week 1 Photographic genres

On Sutha.org we looked at different photo genres.  Four basic photographic categories Creative (fiction) allow a significant element of fantasy.  These types of images allow significant of retouching.  Primary ethic is aesthetic, "whatever looks good goes" Retail (fiction and non fiction) focus on services to the end user Personal (tends to be non-fiction) recording of personal memories and for private use Editorial (non-fiction) non-fiction and record reality in a more objective manner. Bruce and I worked together to complete the class tasks below are the answers to the questions Which genres require more photo retouching? Creative genres Why do you think this is? This is because the images have fantastical elements which require careful thought and arrangement EDITORIAL GENRE What photographer from last term fits into an editorial genre? Lewis Hines is a photographer who shot life as a photojournalism/reportage for political reasons.  His photos documen

Portfolio Wk 1 – Portfolio Trajectory

Pitch for Portfolio trajectory I’ve been thinking for a while about what type of photos I will be taking for my portfolio.   It’s a pretty hard ask mainly because it’s that piece of work that I’m going to be using as a showcase of my skillset as a photographer.   I am feel anxious because I really want to nail it.   I want my photos to appear professional and something that I would be proud to share.    I posted photos in an earlier post noting the types of photos that i wish to take.  At the moment the only thing that i am sure of is that i want to take portraiture.  Hopefully along the way (through experiementing) i will be able to fine tune my ideas. Next Thursday we are to present our approach to our portfolio project in class.   Below are the answers to the questions we have been asked to identify in our presentation: What is your genre?  Editorial - life - documentary portraiture.  I chose documentary portraiture because it will reflect a moment in my life.  T